I ended up cutting two copies of the foam version because the first had a flaw in the foam. The second came out almost perfect and I cast it in aluminum. After cleaning it up on the lathe, I think it looks pretty good.
I'm still tuning the new foundry but it's working pretty well now. I did my first real casting with it yesterday. This was also my first full cycle project. Design in CAD, Cut in foam on the CNC router, cast in aluminum.
I wish the finish was a little nicer. Next time I'll take more time coating it with drywall mud and ramming it in sand better.
My old foundry, a gingery style charcoal burner, showed me how much I like casting aluminum. However, it's messy, burns a lot of charcoal, and the lid was breaking down. So I'm going to build a new one. This time I'm going to build a propane burner and spend a bit more time to make it a more permanent tool in my arsenal. I'm basing my design around a foundry built by 'Splint' on CNCzone. The first pic is what's left of foundry 1.0.
I found this old propane tank lying in a neighbor's ditch and she gave it to me. I cut it down to size based on a 3 inch wall and a crucible no bigger than 6 inches in diameter.