The Hell Ya Beller Fun with hot, pointy, sharp, and caustic stuff.

28May/110

Daily moment of ‘Duh’.

I started seeing missed steps in my prints.  I haven't had this problem for a long time so I went through the basics of tuning up, lubricating moving parts, etc.  The problem remained.  I started printing test blocks and noticed the problem looked very regular.

This made me think it must be in the software tool chain and I spent a couple days trying to narrow it down.   Nothing.

Finally, I took another look at hardware, even going so far as to disassemble things that have been working reliably for a while. Lo and behold, I found this:

Part of the gear has delaminated.  The missing tooth doesn't cause a problem all the time, but during certain rapid movements, or during rapid start/stops, it slips.

These were some old gears that I printed when my quality was still pretty rough.  I should have reprinted them a long time ago, but I forgot when they seemed to be reliable.

After you figure out a problem, it always seems so obvious.

 

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.


Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.